Joel Castro Pereira – Manchester United’s latest signing

Joel Castro Pereira. Photo: La Liberté

Manchester United recently snapped up 16-year-old goalkeeper Joel Castro Pereira from Neuchâtel Xamax, Switzerland. Nicknamed “El Gato”, the cat, the youngster will join the youth squad under the guidance of Paul McGuinness – but who is he?

He has given his first interview since becoming a Manchester United player to French media outlet La Liberté. The youngster speaks about his nickname, the move to Manchester and how he already feels part of the Manchester United family.

On his nickname “El Gato”…

“I was called that because I was jumping around. Now, no one uses this nickname but It might come back.”

On how he joined Manchester United…

“It is through my agent, a Luxembourg national who lives in Zurich, as it happened, he says. Several recruiters from Manchester had seen me play this fall, especially in an U16 match against Italy.”

“It’s amazing what has happened to me. I think I’m a little young to think about all this. For now though, I really want to finish my training at Payerne [in Switzerland].”

On what he has already learnt about Manchester United…

“We feel that this is a family there, he says. At noon, everyone eats together, whether a youth player or one of the first team. Alex Ferguson enters, greets everyone and comes to eat with us. Nobody seems above the other, that’s what hit me. I have not spoken with him because I was intimidated and my English, it’s not that. But my father and the agent discussed, mainly the structure of training. “

Manchester United’s wonderful record of nurturing the best out of our youth has been the cornerstone of our successes over the past 20 years. Here is to hoping that Pereira can become one of the world’s best in the distant future.

For the full interview in French, visit here.

emmanuel george 07/19/2012 - 12:48

Pls sir alex, 4get about moura and focus on baine, eriksen or sneijer and lewendoski. If we can bring this guys in we sure premier league and champion’s league. And 2 my fellow united brothers let s 4get about who can speak good english or not. Our main target should be on how 2 bring in new player’s that can make us sing our song GLORY,GLORY MAN UNITED, GLORY GLORY MAN UNITED

Rabiu 07/16/2012 - 16:46

Tank sir alex i hope u wil ad an0ther signing

upyoursciteh 07/16/2012 - 16:08

Wow. So exciting!! Not!!!

david simbayi lusaka zambia 07/16/2012 - 15:02

get that lucas guy and ekriesten then thats it..SAF

Yinka 07/16/2012 - 14:24

United 4 life

Temene 07/16/2012 - 13:19

Sir alex pls give d young stars chance and look i belief them does stars can help our sguad letter i belief in them thank u

Jack 07/16/2012 - 13:06

Antonio Valencia is one of them.

Sam Peoples 07/16/2012 - 10:57

Language barriers are only a problem if a player makes them a problem. Many players over the years have done fine and as Mister Pee said, there are plenty in the squad right now that don’t speak English but have been successful.

Mister Pee 07/16/2012 - 09:49

“…that those not even no how to speak English… carry champions league” Well, heavens know you’re a clown. How much English can Anderson, Chicharito etc speak? Some folks should learn not to make dimwitted comments on the internet. Its embarassing!

billy. 07/16/2012 - 12:45

Chicharito is completely fluent in English.
When deciding to quote somebody and humiliate them online, it might be a good idea to be fully informed on the topic in hand.

Jon 07/16/2012 - 08:34

“dat those nt even no hw 2 speak english”

Irony overload.

Joshuaizuchukwu 07/16/2012 - 07:53

I want man utd 2 stop buying little kids dat do nt no anytin about football like this periera dat those nt even no hw 2 speak english bt we can buy nabay foda bt periera is nt neccessary at man u.I want man utd 2 buy ericksen,moutinho,lucas moura, sneijder and lewandoski dis players wil help us 2 carry champions league nd bring bak our premier league bt if d money is big we can buy moutinho,sneijder,lucas moura nd lewandoski is enough if we buy dis players we ar going 2 carry champions league nd premier league as well.Pls let my request shuld be granted up man u.

Moseslawal 07/16/2012 - 07:02

Good job sir thank fergie,pls bring le8on baines and eriken to man utd to complete d mildfied and defence thank /good job