Berbatov: Sir Alex Ferguson has lost my respect

Dimitar Berbatov has finally opened the lid on his real feelings about his time at Manchester United and has hit out at Sir Alex Ferguson and the way he was treated at the club.

Speaking at a news conference at Bulgaria’s Vasil Levski national stadium in Sofia, Berbatov rued how his United career turned out in the last two years and publicly vented his frustrations.

“I know he’s the boss, but he has lost, to some extent, my respect because of the way he treated me.” Dimitar Berbatov

He said:  “I don’t think I deserved such treatment at United – not playing (regularly) in the last year.

“I went more than ten, probably 15, times to ask the coach if they need me. And every time I was told that I’m an important player and should not leave but then again I was not in the team.

“Maybe I should’ve gone when he (Ferguson) left me out of the squad for the Champions League final (in 2011).

Berbatov has every right to be frustrated with how his career dwindled away at United but I’m very surprised to hear him speaking publicly about it like this. Ever the gentleman, Berbatov has remained tight lipped about his real feelings but it seems that he wanted this parting shot after remaining quiet for so long. He has also said that he will have no qualms playing against United.

“I’ll have no problems playing against United as this already happened in my career. But there’s no point to look back again. I said goodbye to the people, who deserve it. I couldn’t say goodbye to Ferguson.” Dimitar Berbatov

He continued: “He (Ferguson) tried to explain to me that the team will be using a more direct style, with more speed.

“But I’ve never been among the fastest players, I like to hold the ball, this is my style.

“I found it hard to accept his decision. I still have my dignity. I scored many goals, I won the league two times, and I was the league top scorer, so it’s not bad.

Despite the comments, I don’t think it will change how fans see him. To be fair, I am surprised we didn’t hear any comments like this whilst he was still at United. He still loves the fans and what the club stands for, it is just a shame he became a high profile victim of a changing United squad but that, unfortunately, is part of football.

fide Uwakwe 09/03/2012 - 18:20

As long as there is life, there is death. Ecclesiastes, 3; verses 1 to 8. There is time 4 every thing.I ‘m one of your best fans,you are simply very good but slow. good luck.

jayboy 09/03/2012 - 18:08

@ray. Nice said Ray, berbatov doesn’t deserve being treated the way saf did,you can’t compare him with danny or chica,I wonder what saf saw in danny which made him treat our top scorer in such a manner, for your information Jude,keeping berbatov on the bench for danny and chica cost us the league last season,the duo doesn’t have the quality berbatov has,how many goals has Danny scored for united ever since saf preffered him over berbatov and also how many assist has he got,please for all who thinks berbatov has been a waste,please check your records and tell me if he deserve such treatment

jayboy 09/03/2012 - 18:05

@ray. Nice said Ray, berbatov doesn’t deserve being treated the saf did,you can’t compare him with danny or chica,I wonder what saf saw in danny which made him treat out top score in such manner, for your information Jude,keeping berbatov on the bench for danny and chica cost us the league last year,the duo doesn’t have the quality berbatov has,how many goals has Danny scored for united ever since saf preffered him over berbatov and also how many assist has he got,please for all who thinks berbatov has been a waste,please check your records and tell me if he deserve such a treatment

ray 09/03/2012 - 15:54

Not sure why the article needs to suggest that the fans will still respect him and i am not sure why Jude feels he let us down.
To go over his time at United.
SAF more or less kidnapped him to get him away from City to join United.
His style of play was known to us then and never changed.
He did,a he says win 2 championships and was the premier league leading scorer.

He lost his place for,in my opinion,no reason to Danny welbeck.
Danny despite his all action play is not a regular goalscorer.
In fact despite being one of Englands recognised forwards he ranks alonside Carroll as a non goalscoring striker.

I think it is unfair to pick one game out of a lot of stop start selections and say Berba missed some chances in that game.
Welbeck and Chicorito played most of the season.
Both were very disappointing.Neither could score regularly and we lost the league because we didn’t score enough goals.
As he wasn’t playing how could that be Berba’s fault?

The way we treated him for the last year was a disgrace.
He kept his council as well.
We only triggered the one year extension to accomodate what is desribed as a changing United squad.
The intention of triggering the clause was for greedy United to make money and had nothing to do with one man’s life and career
Prior to the RVP the only thing that was changing was the wage structure.
That was changing down to accomodate interest payment,stockbrokers fees and Glazer management charges.
They then dragged Berba to South Africa and China and round Europe for no other reason than to promote the brand and exploit him to help that brand as there was virtually nobody with any class on tour.
They New Harlem Globetrotters aka Manchester United get over £2m a game to play pre season friendlies.
Nothing to do with fitness.All to do with profit.

Alex Ferguson took a cheap shot at Berba at the last press conference by declaring “He could be at Spurs for all i know”
For a man who often won’t speak to the press he had no need to say anything about a man he had already treated disgracefully and therefore deserves all the comments that Berba has made.
Berba is not the first to leave on bad terms.There is a nasty streak in SAF.

Ruud van Nistlerooy,Beckham ,Stam etc were not allowed to leave.
They were forced out because SAF didn’t like something they had done or said.

Finally for Jude to say “You’re not a bad player but certainly too slow” shows a lack of understanding of the professional game.
He might well be slower than a lot of players but his football brain is faster than most and the ball passed quickly and accurately goes faster than a pair of legs.
If you ever saw Paddy Crerand or Arnold Muhren play you would know what i mean.

Adam 09/03/2012 - 17:59

You sir, just won the internet.

jude 09/03/2012 - 15:24

Come on man,you forgot the times u let us down with your laidback kind of play?.The last game against Blackburn when you had more than ten chances to score and you messed up?.Because of you United allowed Tevez to go to Man City.Shut up and stop mumbling.United allowed Ruud Van Nistelrooy,Beckham etc to leave yet they were tight lipped.Team makes changes and you met the axe.No big deal.You re nt a bad player but certainly too slow.