Patrice Evra and Rio Ferdinand have both been placed on a 20 man shortlist for the 2012 FIFPRO World XI side.
Voted for by fellow players, four of the 20 man shortlist will be presented during the FIFA Ballon d’Or presentation ceremony on Monday 7 January 2013.
Rio Ferdinand has been shortlisted every year since 2005 when the award was first created and was part of the final World XI in 2008. Patrice Evra has been on every shortlist since 2008, making the final XI in 2009.
I’m surprised that Patrice Evra has made the shortlist given his inconsistent form in 2012 but in the past two months he has re-found the form that made him the worlds best left back in 2009. As for Rio Ferdinand, he was superb alongside Jonny Evans especially in the absence of Nemanja Vidic, who made the final XI in 2011.
Here’s the list in full:
- Jordi Alba (Spain and Barcelona)
- Gareth Bale (Wales and Tottenham Hotspur)
- Giorgio Chiellini (Italy and Juventus)
- Ashley Cole (England and Chelsea)
- Dani Alves (Brazil and Barcelona)
- David Luiz (Brazil and Chelsea)
- Patrice Evra (France and Manchester United)
- Rio Ferdinand (England and Manchester United)
- Mats Hummels (Germany and Borussia Dortmund)
- Branislav Ivanovic (Serbia and Chelsea)
- Vincent Kompany (Belgium and Manchester City)
- Philipp Lahm (Germany and Bayern Munich)
- Marcelo (Brazil and Real Madrid)
- Javier Mascherano (Argentina and Barcelona)
- Pepe (Portugal and Real Madrid)
- Gerard Piqué (Spain and Barcelona),
- Carles Puyol (Spain and Barcelona)
- Sergio Ramos (Spain and Real Madrid)
- John Terry (England and Chelsea)
- Thiago Silva (Brazil and Paris St-Germain)