Why Bale is a better choice than Ronaldo

By @Tweetsofared

This will probably cause a little bit of a stir but I honestly think Gareth Bale would be a better signing for Manchester United than Ronaldo right now. It’s looking pretty certain that Bale will be a Madrid player soon but a fan can dream, right? I feel as if he would be a better fit for United and a more beneficial signing in the long term.

Now at this point, you’re probably thinking I am talking about as much sense as Tevez did to a police officer. But, stick with me whilst I explain myself.

In my opinion, a legend is someone you know for a fact you’ll tell your kids about and that’s exactly what Cristiano is for United fans. Ronaldo is, for me, the best player in the world. He’s one of those rare players that could seamlessly fit into any team in the world. But, that doesn’t necessarily mean he’s the best fit for United.

Ronaldo was with us for six years and in that time became one of the best players to ever wear a United shirt. However, I feel that if he came back and didn’t contribute as much we hoped he would, his status as a United legend could be tarnished. I have a firm belief that in most cases, not much good can come from a player resigning for an old club, especially one who carries the expectations that Ronaldo would.

Also, Ronaldo is 28. Now, I’m not saying that’s old but he has potentially three or four years left at his very peak whereas Gareth Bale, at 23, has another eight or nine years playing at the highest level.

Bale, right now, is the hottest prospect in Europe. He’s one of the best five players in the Premier League this season along with van Persie, Suarez, Mata and Michu. You could ask every manager and player in the world if they’d like Bale in their team and I’ll bet ‘Arry’s Range Rover they’ll all say yes.

You can guarantee the talk of the summer transfer window will be centred around Bale. If he was to move within England, there’s not a doubt in my mind he’d end up in the red side of Manchester. Although, the odds of him staying in England are pretty slim as long as Daniel Levy is at the helm of Tottenham.

It goes without saying that Bale is not as good as Ronaldo but who is to say he can’t be one day? Or at least come close to that level. And if anyone can turn Bale into a Ballon d’Or contender, it’s Sir Alex Ferguson. I don’t have the time to list all the world class players Ferguson and United have created over the years but if Bale wants to become one of the best in the world, then he needs to join a top club.

The two clubs which suit him most are Madrid and Manchester United. A strong case could be made that he’d slot in well at Barcelona but I don’t see this being the case. Bale needs to be one of the stars of the team to perform at his very best and that wouldn’t happen at Barcelona.

Also, the price difference between the two would be huge. You can’t see Madrid letting Ronaldo go for any less than what they paid for him. Do United really have that kind of money to throw around on 28-year-old former players?

The ethos of United has always been, for the most part, buy players young and turn them into world class players. Very rarely have United broken this mould with the exceptions of Robin Van Persie and Juan Sebastian Veron, amongst a few others. For this reason alone, I can’t see us stumping up the cash.

However, I think the prospect of buying Bale would make Ferguson’s little red nose glow like Balotelli’s house fire. If there is one thing United need, it’s a versatile, goal scoring winger who can terrorise defences like Valencia did last season. That’s exactly what Sir Alex would be getting if he signed Bale and I have a feeling that if United made a bid for him, he’d find it hard to say no.

Fergie, sign him up.

Fred Tissue 03/14/2013 - 00:01

Hmmm, I certainly wouldn’t complain if we signed Bale. However…..

1. Right now, Bale is no where near Ronaldo’s level, so given the choice it’s got to be Ronaldo every time.

2. Ronaldo knows the United setup and would settle in straight away, without the usual acclimatisation that new signings usually have to make.

3. You say that we would get 3 or 4 years of Ronaldo at his peak, against maybe 8 or 9 for Bale. However, perhaps you’re not taking into consideration that whereas Ronaldo will have scratched his Madrid ‘itch’ and would be happy to see out the rest of his career at United, if (and it’s a big IF) Bale did reach the Ronaldo level whilst at United, it wouldn’t be long before the Madrid (or Barca) vultures will hover and he could move on to Spain. So really, you’re looking at 3 or 4 years of Ronaldo at his very peak, against maybe only as little as 2 or 3 years of Bale while he is still developing and reaching his peak, before being ‘nicked’ by Madrid (as Ronaldo was). Also, I do feel that Ronaldo has the potential to have a long career like Ryan Giggs has, as I think he is very single minded and looks after himself, and puts his career first, unlike some other United strikers I could mention! So, you would probably get more than 3-4 good seasons out of him.

Ken 03/13/2013 - 15:53

No Way. It’s got to be Ronaldo all the way. There’s good, there’s great, and then there’s Ronaldo!

rob 03/13/2013 - 11:48

I do sympathise a little. When writing an article to be read by one’s own fans there is a temptation to be somewhat fantastical with the facts, secure in the knowledge they will be well received.Your problem of course is that with all the Bale content this has popped up on all the Spurs newsfeeds and we are sick to death of hearing talk of Bale leaving in the summer when it is so clearly not going to happen.

If you came across a chin scratching article from a Man City writer pondering the wisdom of going out and signing Rooney this summer like it was as easy as popping to Tesco you’d probably be pretty pissed off. Who the hell does this guy think he is? Fergie said he isn’t for sale and even if they can blow us out of the water money wise we wouldn’t sell to them. If Rooney said he wanted to go then tough luck.

I understand the press harping on about it. Bale rumours sell newspapers, but you are just writing a blog so have no excuse. United simply could not afford Bale and at his age Fergie has got better things to do than spend an entire summer in a protracted and stressful negotiation with the nightmare to deal with that is Daniel Levy. Even if he did agree to sell to you (which he wouldn’t) and you agreed a fee he would phone with half an hour left and want another £10m or Rooney as part of the deal with you subsidising his wages. It’s what he does, why do you think we always miss out on signings? QPR failed to buy Bentley off us in January because negotiations broke down. Bentley!

Anyone can see Bale is very happy at Spurs and that he loves AVB. He is playing for a manager who is looking like one of the brightest prospects in the game, under whose guidance over a few months he has become twice the player he was last year. It is supremely arrogant and disrespectful to suggest that he needs to go to ‘a top club’ to improve, or that only Fergie can get the best out of him. How long do you expect Ferguson to remain at the helm anyway? One more season? Two?

If we qualify for CL as seems likely Bale will not leave and I fully expect him to sign a new big money contract, if we don’t then it is far from certain that he will be allowed to leave even if he wants to. He could have to go on strike, force a move etc like Modric and the lad isn’t like that. Anyway if he did that might get him to Mardid, but never United. Do not confuse the Spurs board with the Arsenal board.

Joshua Graham 03/26/2013 - 21:04

I wasn’t saying we are going to sign Bale. I actually call it a dream in the article. The article was based around ongoing arguments about comparisons between Bale and Ronaldo. I was merely suggesting that I would rather have Bale at Ronaldo. That’s all. I do not expect to sign him, nor do I think we will. You must understand that. Try not go get so wound up about a piece wrote by a United fan comparing two players, in his own opinion.

Shubham Yadav 03/13/2013 - 11:02

Levy + fergie = disaster. deal can’t happen . End of the topic.

Easyone 03/13/2013 - 09:30

Bale would be better fit into United team as well.

164spur 03/13/2013 - 09:22

Go play in the river mate, Fergie go get him who do U think you lot are, not on a million years will U get him from spurs, Ferguson turning players into world class players, he buys ten players and one out of that are great, and then he was already good hence van Persie, so go suck a duck mate.

cartel 03/13/2013 - 09:16

Bales value is about 60mil,
Considering Daniel levys and fergusons contempt for one another, that value would rise to 70+ mil
United simply do not have the funds or willingness to spend that on 1 player.

Argument over.

Ray 03/13/2013 - 08:30

When are you numbskulls going to get it in you thick heads that Daniel Levy will no longer sell the clubs prised assets to another club in this country?
As for him selling Bale this summer to Real, who incidentally are on an all together different planet to Manure, try and think again if you possibly can.

samp 03/13/2013 - 08:58

Madrid were made to look average by United over both legs until the red card. “Another planet”. Hardly.

rob 03/13/2013 - 11:18

I wouldn’t say Madrid were on a different planet football wise but profile wise they are a much bigger attraction. Some players in this country dream of playing for United (Bale isn’t one of them or he would have signed for you from Southampton), but abroad Real Madrid is held in much higher regard. Anyway after the absurdly fatuous article you just wrote you’re not really in a position to criticise.

Joshua Graham 03/26/2013 - 21:10

I wrote it. And the difference between United and Madrid is minimal. I think you underestimate the size of Manchester United. The biggest, most supported and most valuable football club in the world.

David 03/13/2013 - 06:31

Bale would be a perfect solution for United Crisis and with the presence of Giggs who is a master in that same position that would make a huge difference in Bale’s career and besides he is a fellow welsh man so that alone should convince Bale of Man Utd being his home…

Kashere21 03/13/2013 - 06:26

I also prefare Bale to Ronaldo , remember his last season at united before his departured i see him as the wost player then or is maybe he want to live, but Bale will be better signing than Ronaldo at the moment,.and will be a good addition also make us unstopable next season. Fergie sign him up if neccessary.

Steph 03/13/2013 - 04:02

Sign him up Fergie? Needs to join a club? Typical arrogant Manc. He’s gone from nothing to being world class at Spurs. If you think there would be a huge price difference between Ronaldo and Bale going to United you are dreaming, Levy would squeeze you until the pips squeek. This is the sort of naive tosh an over excitable kid would come out with. The only way you can get Modric from Spurs is via Madrid, let alone Bale.

rob 03/13/2013 - 03:46

Jesus are you the only guy in England who still thinks Bale will be leaving Spurs in the summer?

lodatz 03/13/2013 - 03:39

Tottenham are not Arsenal — we held off Chelsea buying Modric, and we’d hold off United buying Bale. Look elsewhere, mate.