Ramsey: I made the right choice snubbing Manchester United

by Tom Parker

Arsenal midfielder Aaron Ramsey claims he has zero regrets after snubbing Manchester United to join the Gunners back in 2008.

Old adversaries Arsene Wenger and Sir Alex Ferguson were both keen on signing the player who was regarded as one of the best players outside of the Premier League at that time.

But Ramsey felt that United had “too many midfielders” at the time and chose to move to the Emirates rather than Old Trafford.

Speaking to the Daily Mirror, Ramsey said: “The main factor in joining Arsenal was meeting with Arsene Wenger and to hear what his plans were for me.

“He has brought through so many youngsters and given them opportunities and turned them into great players. They flew me over there to have a meeting with him. I was overwhelmed. I was 17 and one of the best managers in the world wants to meet me face to face.”

“It was definitely a hard choice to make at my age, but I’ve no regrets, I think I made the right choice.

“I felt more wanted at Arsenal, I felt the plan was better for me and they gave youngsters more opportunities. Manchester United also had a lot of midfielders at the time as well.”

Many were surprised when Ramsey put club allegiances aside when he signed for Arsenal, especially given United had just completed an emphatic league and European Cup double as the 22-year-old is a known United fan.

Ramsey has made over 140 appearances for Arsenal, and despite suffering a horrific leg break which curtailed his progress, is regarded as one of the clubs better midfield players. However, given United’s continued search for a decent box-to-box player, a move could have benefited both parties.

Now seen as a first team player by Wenger, it is unsurprising to hear Ramsey claim he has no doubts over signing for Arsenal despite a testing period for the club on the field. However, it must grind him to know that he could have won a raft of first-team honours had he made a switch to United in 2008.

Aristotle jonhson solomon 04/25/2013 - 11:10

Thank ramsey we are good there in old trafford, dnt need u.

Zodina 04/08/2013 - 02:41

Thank Ramsey didnt join United and spoil the game.

jay 04/03/2013 - 19:46

sebastian you sad prat, you know nothing about nothing. who you support counts for nothing? you avin a laugh?

and its pretty normal to not support your local team you muppet.

Good article this m8 ignore the hater guys probably an brew boy

Chudic 04/03/2013 - 00:07

Thanks For Choosing Arsenal. . Maybe ur presence in Man utd would have made us loose one or two trophies.

Sebastian 04/02/2013 - 17:56

@mac252 what are you talking about? You’re meant to support someone who is at least reasonably local. Real Man Utd fans from Manchester are embarrassed of you lot. Support Villa you prat. Just another brain dead Man Utd tag along. Most of you live down here in North London!

red4life 05/02/2013 - 01:35

ive supported united for over 40 years why would you be embarrassed by me that’s what you call loyal support especially as when I first started supported them they hadn’t won any thing for years and the journey was 5 hours each way its people like me who have made the club what it is today through supporting united through thick and thin

Red Devil for Life 09/14/2013 - 11:51

Lmao @ Sebastian! You are v.ignorant I’m sorry to say… Why is man utd a big club? Why does it still have financial power even tho in huge debts? Why is the club full of players not from Manchester or perhaps don’t even support Man U? Why have they won so many cups? Sebastian knows why… Lol. Because their only supporters live in Manchester. What a huge club it must be (sarcasm).

As for Ramsey… His loss… What medals does he have? Oh…

And well said chris, Anderson and nani need to go… I’m not a big fan of carrick… Can’t play when rushed, hides from the ball, never sprints or tackles, plays the simplest of passes, can’t remember the last cutting thru ball and has a passing range of 5 yards.

Red Devil for Life 09/14/2013 - 12:03

I’ll enlighten you…

Most of Man U supporters are not from Manchester, most of the arsenal supporters are not from north London and the same applies for the majority of clubs…

90% of the fans of your chosen club would be embarrassed of you because they would not be from where your club is located… Your the minority, prob wouldn’t even pack half of the emirates, lol.

Thanks for giving me and some friends some good afternoon entertainment and laughs… Honest.

You sure you watch football? Not golf? Lol.

chris 04/02/2013 - 16:15

Thanks Ramsey because your rubbish. We already have Anderson and Nani to cope with.

james odinga 04/02/2013 - 07:43

Ramsey i salute u, u made a wonderful choice. u r the best DM.

HimanU 04/02/2013 - 00:11

Who is Ramsey?!

rijah 04/05/2013 - 12:19

Hahaha…that was nice… Ramsey will soon be forgotten as soon as he retires and everybody will ask this question if by chance somebody mentions his name…

sparta 04/02/2013 - 00:05

Yes ramsey is a man utd fan or was at the time.. Is idol/fav Player was giggs at the time… Oh and wolverhampton is NOT in birmingham!!!!!

mac252 04/01/2013 - 23:20

@Sebastian – Birmingham to Manchester 4 hours. Cars trains and buses have been invented. You no longer have to walk to games.

Sebastian 04/01/2013 - 22:10

2 things, firstly Ramsey is a known United fan? What? I’ve never heard that before. Besides, Zaha and Bale are “known arsenal fans”, but it counts for literally nothing.

Secondly, you’re from Birmingham?! Aston Villa? Birmingham City? Wolves? West Brom? Are there not enough football clubs in Birmingham for you to support? You live 4 hours from Manchester mate! Embarrassing!

red4life 05/02/2013 - 01:30

I live about 250 miles from old Trafford why shouldn’t I support the team I love id travel from Australia to see the lads play

Red Devil for Life 09/14/2013 - 11:59

Geography lessons? 4 hours? By what? Unicycle?

I gather your an arsenal fan (rising smile), how many players in the arsenal starting 11 are from north London? How many from England, lets start there first, lol?

Arsenal are a feeder club… Ozil won’t be there for too many seasons, you can bet your money on that…

Good luck with scraping top four…