Ferguson: Everything is in place for a big signing

Sir Alex Ferguson has fuelled the transfer speculation fire by saying that ‘everything is in place for a big signing’ for Manchester United this year.

With a record third quarter turnover of £91.7 million, United are certainly staying lucrative on the commercial front but there are still debts in excess of £350 million hanging over the club.

Despite this, Ferguson has full faith in the Glazers providing the funds if he wants to make a marquee signing this season.

“Everything is in place for a big signing. I think that the Glazers have been great,” Ferguson said.

“Whenever I have asked, they have delivered.

“If I ask to go for a certain player, I think they will do that.

“When I spoke about value in the market a while back, I was talking about young, developing players.

“Maybe there has been a wind of change and I could go for a really top player now.”

Last season, United had a plethora of striking options but Robin van Persie was signed and what a difference he has made.

It marked a shift in United’s transfer policy of recent years given our tendency to buy young players and nurture their talent but the impact of van Persie on the squad was Cantona-esque and worth every penny of the £24 million paid for him.

And Ferguson, who normally keeps his transfer cards very close to his chest, has been rather open in the past couple of years.

Last year, he admitted interest in Hazard, Moura and van Persie when he would normally stay tight lipped in what was a change of policy given that United had been struggling to compete financially in the market.

Despite Ed Woodward’s claim that United’s squad does not need major retooling, Ferguson clearly expects to bring somebody in.

Ferguson continued: “We have a nucleus of young players here, but we may spend something.

“When it’s a top player, it doesn’t matter what position they play in. I will bring them in if they add to the team.

“Last season we had [Javier] Hernandez, [Danny] Welbeck and [Wayne] Rooney and we still went out and bought Robin van Persie.”

If it is a marquee signing then the likes of Bale, Lewandowski, Falcao and even Ronaldo will surely be on the list as Ferguson looks to build on a league winning side but for me, it would have to be Bale if United are to go all out for a player.

The 23-year-old is exactly what this side is missing in a winger who can cut inside and pose a real threat to the oppositions goal with Nani, Young and Valencia all offering little to the team this season.

Bale has had a storming season notching 20 goals on the way to winning a PFA and Football Writers Player of the Year Award double, and Ferguson may well look at signing a player he admitted missing out on in the past.

A young, ferociously quick left footed Welshman tearing teams apart at United? The signs are already there…

Aina Benjamin 05/17/2013 - 08:19

I wont if Sir Alex cn stil make signing.

kal 05/17/2013 - 08:01

I for one think Gareth Bale would be a better buy than Ronaldo who left the first chance he got. . Also considering age, Bale is the better option. Kevin Strootman or James Rodriguez would definately add flavour to midfield. The striking force is solid enough althougjh Lewandowsky to replace Rooney would be a welcome move. I think we the fans have had enough of Wayne Rooney and his speculation so let him leave already. The club always moves on.

Trevor 05/05/2013 - 09:08

Fergie states that we have the money for a big signing. That proves we have not been in the Marley for players like Maura and Hazard as they were to much
How many more lies will Fergie make.
When you look closely at the team, we are very week on the wings compared to other top teams and we still worry about our midfield and full backs.

prince 05/05/2013 - 07:17

i think isco would be a good signing

James 05/05/2013 - 03:10

I cannot understand why we would want to go for a striker. I know Falcao and Lewondowksi are top strikers, but so is Javier Hernandez. We should be focusing on developing him as a striker. I believe he can be one of Europes best strikers. I mean he is 24 and no one can say Falcao was a lot better at the same age. Falcao is 27 now and Hernandez can reach the same level with our support. I think we need to get him on a training programme to build strength and muscle, but he has great potential.

We can’t forget RVP, Welbeck and Rooney either. Rooney is struggling and has hit a crossroad. I think he needs to think about his career and where he wants to go. If he is serious about being a top player then he will return to pre-season in great shape and better fitness.

Last summer we failed to sign Hazard or Moura, which gives us an idea of where Ferguson wants to strengthen. It is the midfield that needs a revamp.

the kaizer 05/05/2013 - 02:27

Of all the names being linked I feel Bale is the least likely. Simply because Levy will not do business with us. We have been linked with Falcao, Ronaldo, Isco, Rodriguez, Lewandoski etc. All I feel are more likely.

Adam 05/05/2013 - 01:46

It is odd that Ferguson has spoken so openly about signings and the fact that we will be spending money this summer. We normally get the opposite and told that there will not be much business being done. Ferguson is also going back slightly on the fact that “there is no value in the market”, which indicates that big money on just one player is a possibility. The fans have been ruling out Bale, Ronaldo or Falcao because they would cost big money, but maybe its not impossible.

I’m also wondering if we have already secured our ‘big signing’ because he has spoken so openly about it, and has created real anticipation amongst the fans. I mean if that wasn’t the case then he would be setting us up for a real disappointment if we fail to land anyone of significance. I would love Bale but I cannot see Tottenham selling him to us, unless there is a ‘get out clause’ in his contract should they fail to qualify for the Champions League. It’s hard to plan for that scenario though. There is a chance that Ferguson wants to bring Ronaldo back and that would be massive. However I cannot see Real Madrid letting him leave, and I’m not sure if he would want to leave with just one La Liga title to his name. I think he just wants Real Madrid to make him the best paid player in the world.

The one player that comes to mind is Radamel Falcao. It was published in Marca that Man Utd has already made a down-payment for his services, which might be why Ferguson has said that “everything is in place for a big signing”. We had Tino Asprilla saying this week that he told Falcao to join Man Utd ahead of all the other clubs. It might be that Falcao has told Ferguson will wants to join Man Utd and so that is the big signing being planned. It might be too much of a dream, but signing Bale or Ronaldo also seems impossible, even with money available.

Quis 05/05/2013 - 02:46

Marca??? really? dear god that’s like believing a politico…