Fellaini strongly hints at a move to Manchester United this year

Marouane Fellaini has insisted that he is happy at Everton but has admitted that he would like to play Champions League football next season.

Fellaini, 25, has been strongly linked to a move to Manchester United after David Moyes’ appointment at Old Trafford.

“I’m not a number 10. David Moyes predicts my future as a ­defensive midfielder but due to a lack of offensive power, he plays me up front.”

And speaking with the Daily MirrorFellaini pointed towards the influence of Moyes at Everton for how he has progressed in the past 12 months.

“If I’m leaving Everton, I say if, it will depend on lots of factors,” he said.

“I only want to go to a club where the manager ­really wants me. In 2008, Everton did everything to convince me, especially David Moyes. He made me the player I am now.

“I’m happy with my ­season, although I didn’t play in my best position.

“In the future I want to play as a six or an eight. From there, I can create danger and score goals.”

Fellaini is potentially a strong target for United this summer now that Moyes will take over from Ferguson in a move that would see him follow the Scot in the move from Goodison Park.

The physical 25-year-old midfielder is considered by many as the perfect man to compliment Carrick in the middle of the park at United in order to bring a bit of presence to a midfield that has been over-run in recent years by the likes of Yaya Toure and Fellaini himself.

And ahead of what is going to be a busy summer, Fellaini dropped another hint that a United move could be on the cards when he admitted that he is hungry to play Champions League football next season, something that United could offer.

“Every player wants to play in the Champions League. That is the big competition,” Fellaini told the Daily Mirror in a previous interview.

“I hope I can do it with Everton. I’m happy here. I’ve been at the club for five years. I’m happy because I know everybody.”

Fellaini has enjoyed playing in several positions for Everton under David Moyes at Goodison Park but believes that he can play his best in a defensive midfield role.

He continued: “Sometimes I look at myself and ask, ‘What is my best position?’ I think it’s a defensive midfielder, that’s the best one.

“The manager might like it sometimes when I play up front because I can cause trouble for the defenders, but for me my best position defensive midfield – stopping the opposition and then looking to impose myself on a game.”

“When I play up front, it’s hard. It’s not my position and I find it difficult. I’ve played in a few positions. Sometimes I’ve played well there. I understand why the manager might put me up there.”

Looking between the lines, Fellaini is ticking all the boxes for a move to United. We are crying out for a defensive midfielder with an ability to bring the ball forward and given how well Fellaini has progressed under Moyes, the Belgian could be the answer to United’s midfield problems that have been so apparent for years.

alie bangura 06/22/2013 - 20:21

i think if moyes want to bring falanin at man utd is a good idea for him because every pjayer want to play champions league is a big compitition for any player to play.let see how moyes will handle him.

The Peoples Person | Daily Manchester United news and analysis 05/30/2013 - 17:01

[…] recently insisted that his preferred position is a defensive midfielder despite his best performances this season coming when he played further up the pitch, and claimed […]

bobsmart 05/24/2013 - 07:37

Sir Alex we the manutd fans thank you for all u have achiev in the cub. We love you and miss you long live sir Alex.

hayman nhial 05/20/2013 - 15:07

me iwould like to see us signig both felliani and claudio marchiso to add us power at mid then gareth bale and again we need to sign two defenders just say william of swans and one of evertonian’s distin or jagelka to stengthen our centreback defends coz both rio and vidic are mostly suffering with injuries through the season & are growing older too it will be really abusy summer in our history coz the new boss will not stick to the team easly or even healthier so we need to convince rooney up there and spend well too this time..

hayman nhial 05/20/2013 - 14:27

felliani,mcCarthy,strooman plus carrick will work up there

Olayemi peter 05/20/2013 - 08:59

I wuld b very hapi 2see fellani in united nd a player dat i wuld want 2see again in united is non other person dan TOM KROOS

andred 05/19/2013 - 23:06

Thank u Sir Alex. We d man utd fans luv. May you leave long.

Israel Tim 05/19/2013 - 22:52

Fellaini, strootman and bale please. Thank you and congrat for the successful mission on earth, man of graetness, the most successful man Sir Alex Ferguson.

Bello m sulaiman 05/19/2013 - 21:05

Gud bye saf always missing ur presence!

abdulsalam qazeem olayinka 05/19/2013 - 18:44

i will like to see the like of fellaini,strootman and bale in united and moyes must do everything to persuade rooney to stay put.

tunchi 05/19/2013 - 14:00

Fellaini will cause damage to other defenders

s.pemeritus1 05/19/2013 - 09:17

i love the player, he’s gud 4 manchester united

Ongany fred 05/19/2013 - 04:26

I want to bid farewell to football dad of united, May God continue to bless u wherever…and forever. But be4 leaving bring 4us Fabregas & Fellani alongside Rodrigue to mould another successive season of greatness. Thx 4 what u did 4 united.

Adam 05/19/2013 - 03:12

I think David Moyes will want Marouane Fellaini to follow him to Old Trafford. They have a close relationship and Moyes is a big fan of the lad. Fellaini has been a big part of the Everton team for the last 5 years and has consistently improved every season. We need to strengthen the center of midfield and Fellaini seems like an ideal candidate, especially as he will be available for £23 million. He is also only 25 and so is a prime age for Man Utd and still has his best years ahead of him.

We have lost Scholes, and likely Anderson and Fletcher. I think we could sign 2 central midfielders this summer. Along with Fellaini, it would be worth Man Utd looking at James McCarthy. The lad is a top player and has great potential. I don’t think he will stay with Wigan now they are relegated, and Moyes might like the idea of adding him to our squad. I can’t imagine he would cost anymore than £10 million.

The benefit of Marouane Fellaini and James McCarthy is that they are both talented, strong and young midfielders. Also a big plus is they they both know the Premier League well and have that experience.

tom 05/19/2013 - 03:49

I would prefer Strootman to Mccarthy personally. Fellaini and Strootman would be good additions to our squad.