Van Persie: I always wanted United move over Manchester City

by Tom Parker

One was [Manchester] City and the other one was Juventus. So it was a bit hectic but I always wanted this transfer from day one. Me and Sir Alex knew that it would be a bumpy road, but I think that it shows that if you really want something then nothing is impossible. I am glad it happened.” Robin van Persie

Robin van Persie has revealed that despite interest from Manchester City and Juventus, he always wanted to make the move to Manchester United last summer.

The 29-year-old had a brilliant first season at Old Trafford scoring 30 goals and picked up the Golden Boot en route to securing his first Premier League title with United but leaving Arsenal wasn’t an easy process.

In an interview with MUTV, van Persie admitted that Arsenal’s directors made his transfer away from the Emirates a drawn out affair.

“It was [difficult] because it wasn’t only me who decided where I went to play,” said van Persie.

“I also depended on my former club as well and how they saw it. And then of course you always have these games that the directors play.

“It’s a bit like a rollercoaster. Some days it is looking good and other days it is worse. You don’t really know what to expect because things can change so quickly. It normally depends on the player and the two teams, but in my case, there were two other teams involved as well.

“One was [Manchester] City and the other one was Juventus. So it was a bit hectic but I always wanted this transfer from day one. Me and Sir Alex knew that it would be a bumpy road, but I think that it shows that if you really want something then nothing is impossible. I am glad it happened.”

Van Persie, who’s 26 league goals fired United to a record 20th Premier League title, was happy to reminisce over a very successful debut campaign at Old Trafford in Sir Alex Ferguson’s last year in charge.

But he insisted the end of the Ferguson era need not coincide with the club not competing for honours and that creating a new era under former Everton boss David Moyes would only make the players more hungry for success.

“It has only been a year but it has been a year of incredible impact on me which has meant so much. I am proud to have been able to work with him.” Robin van Persie

In an interview with Sky Sports, van Persie said: “It has made such an impact on me that I couldn’t see coming before I signed [playing under Ferguson].

“He made it even more special than I thought it would be. Not only by his skills as a manager but by the way he is as a person, the way he works with his players and the honesty and the winning mentality. The word winning came along so many times in his meetings.

“I always thought he was a winner. If you are a winner and want to achieve things you sometimes have to be direct and tell the truth where it is needed but that is the way to win and so I wasn’t surprised about him.

“But when you see him from an outside point of view you maybe see 20 per cent of Sir Alex. You see him on the touchline. You see him shouting at the referee, you see him wanting to win.

“That is your picture of him in that moment. But we saw him every day. You see him chatting with the boys, you see him in meetings and how he works.

“He is a man who puts his arm around you if you are having a hard time. He gives you confidence. He always defends you towards the outside world. He will always defend his players.

“We are lucky to have seen what most people cannot see. He is one of the best managers in the world, maybe the best and one of the friendliest people I have met in my life and that tells you the whole story about him.”

TwentyTimes 06/06/2013 - 10:03

No matter how you wrap it up in £100 notes, City fans still have the most smalltime mentality of any top flight team/fans I’ve ever witnessed. You wanted Van Persie, your manager said so (and said that is the reason United would win the league), Van Persie said so, Wenger said so, Ferguson said so. Or are you going to post a link to the official source that says City were never interested in him that carries more weight than all the ones that said you were? And you couldn’t guarantee him football?! Hahaha, he was head and shoulders better than anything else at your club last season and would have been the first name on the team sheet. And if a guaranteed first team place was a condition of him joining United, how do you explain the 13 times he was a substitute? It’s a pathetic non-argument.

City fans are just fantasists, changing history in their own heads to match what they want people to believe and hoping everyone else believes their stories. Van Persie chose the bigger and better club and one that doesn’t need to be sponsored by it’s Chairman’s half brother to get a decent sponsorship deal. Why don’t you just accept there are still lots of much bigger clubs out there that some players will prefer to go to?

HeavyRiffs 06/06/2013 - 10:28

I can see that you’re able to write English, so is it purely reading it and absorbing it that you struggle with?
City WERE interested in him, Mancini DID want him.

Aresenal wanted a bidding war, City weren’t having any of it. City never bid, nor offered wages.
RVP had a choice of Nited, or Arsenal where he had just burnt his bridges, so guess where he chose?

If you choose that to mean he picked you as you’re the bigger and better club, then so be it. But when only ONE team comes in for you and you can’t stay where you are, then that pretty much sorts out your choice for you. Then once he’s signed, can he do anything other than tow the party line and say that Nited were always his first choice, actually they were his ONLY choice available.
The only fantasist is you, if you think otherwise.

Can’t wait for your explanation as to why City fans have a small time mentality, this should be good.

TwentyTimes 06/06/2013 - 12:33

So City wanted him and he chose United. You can spin it any way that you like, but he turned you down whichever way you look at it. Every quote on the subject says exactly the same thing, the only group that say only one club was in for him are the knuckle dragging inbreds who read what a 12 year old has written on Blue Moon and take it as fact.

Again, trying to alter reality to stop you looking small, but it doesn’t work when the only people who believe what you say are fellow berties. Still when pretending to be “big” is all you’ve got, I suppose some fans don’t have much choice.

TwentyTimes 06/06/2013 - 12:36

And incidentally, while you’re at it, link any official quote that says he wanted guaranteed football just to back up your claim rather than make it look like you’re scraping the bottom of the barrel for excuses. When I say official I don’t mean retards on Blue Moon who claim to be ITK.

Chad 06/06/2013 - 05:46

Yes…and this is old news. What’s the point of this article? You’re about a year late on this being relevant.

HeavyRiffs 06/06/2013 - 09:50

I think it’s because they still like to think they got one over on City, they didn’t.

It does however speak volumes for the fact that they’re still name checking us a year later.

Not in my lifetime.

Red devil S.A 06/06/2013 - 05:14

The fact is city were trying to sign him and he chose the better side face it! If he did go to city he would have been the number 1 striker there ,he would have made fageuro n gayvez look like puppets and yes the trophy is ‘ours’ we won it more than anyone else and dont think that winnin one league title after 44 years is gona change anything,around the world if you mention ‘manchester’ people know you talking about United not man shitty! Mufc! Manchester is red! Nothing or no one can change that

HeavyRiffs 06/06/2013 - 09:49

Deluded.

HeavyRiffs 06/06/2013 - 09:44

No-one at Nited.
No-one at Arsenal.
No-one at City.
Nor has RVP ever discussed him being offered £330K, but you read it in some regurgitated newspaper articles and are clinging onto it for all your worth, bless.

Dimebar 06/06/2013 - 01:08

You have got to ask yourself why City wanted h. If he had gone he would have become the number one striker. One or perhaps even two strikers would have left. He is and was the best striker in the league.

I say 300 grand because you would imagine that as the next logical offer. If Wenger has said City offered more than Uniteds 250 then it would be hard to imagine them offering any less than 300.

HeavyRiffs 06/06/2013 - 01:19

City did want him, hence Mancini talking about him and Wenger revealing our interest.

But interest doesn’t mean a bid (which we didn’t), or wages offered (which we didn’t, or couldn’t without a successful bid).

You say £300K is the next logical offer.
Doesn’t logic also dictate that maybe he accepted the £250K that Nited offered, so it then made sense to make out that City offered £300K? Then Nited have the smokescreen of claiming that RVP chose them for footballing reasons.

Again, you seem to be missing the salient point.
Wenger didn’t want to sell RVP, but wanted the most money they could get for him via a transfer fee.
At what point was Wenger discussing RVP’s remuneration with other clubs?
Or to put it in common language, show me the quote where Wenger claims that RVP was offered more, but turned it down.

red kev 06/05/2013 - 23:32

I think if I was 29 and wanted to play football and was offered to go to a team where Tevez, Aguero, Dzeko and Ballotelli were already there …then I ‘d think …Hmmmmm…I might not play every week like I did at Arsenal. So Ireckon he chose us for footballing reasons not money.

HeavyRiffs 06/06/2013 - 00:44

True.

Alternative view is that RVP thought, they only have Rugney, chances are it’s only a matter of time before his second transfer request, plus I’m going to be on £250Kpw.

But I concede your point on City having better strikers.

cj 06/06/2013 - 16:51

RVP is superior in all aspects to all city strikers, so it sounds ridiculous that the guy who won the golden boot last season would have been brought in and sit in the bench, this is just insane talk. He sat rooney down at manchester and rooney is better than anybody at city so come on dudes get real. in the end his decision is more than justified, he won the trophy with the most incredible point difference between 1st and 2nd place in many a year and he is sure making tonnes of cash at manchester. (he is the top jersey seller in the epl). City fans need to look for comfor in the nasri situation, as manchster were going for him but city made a finantial offer that was impossible to
refuse, so it works both ways. By the way, pellegrini hasnt won jack s..t in europe

HeavyRiffs 06/06/2013 - 17:46

Moyes has won jack shit, period.

HeavyRiffs 06/05/2013 - 23:08

Wenger

‘“It is true Manchester City [were] interested in him and he has chosen to go to United,” Wenger is quoted as saying by Sky Sports .
“He could come out more on the reasons but I didn’t want to know more about that.
“Does it hurt more than he left for another English club? That is not exactly what I wished!”’

More poignigiantly he also said in Jan 2013

‘“If Van Persie had gone to City, he would have been just another striker in a bunch of world-class players.’

He came to you, just be happy with that.
But don’t cling to fake bids and made up wages in order to try and claim some sort of moral superiority.

HeavyRiffs 06/05/2013 - 23:00

Nope, wrong.

Wenger admitted that City were interested, he never once mentioned potential wages and why would he, as he wouldn’t have a clue as to that.
City never bid on RVP, plain and simple.

So the £300Kpw figure that the ‘media’ conjured up as having been offered by City is merely that, conjured.
It allowed the red media and people such as yourself, to wrap yourself in your Giggsy duvet, all warm and secure. Cos you scared off the blue beast and RVP chose you for footballing reasons.

He chose you as no-one else was buying.
He took you for £250Kpw.

Now rock yourself to sleep…

samp 06/05/2013 - 23:48

He took us for £250k a week?

We took our trophy back.

Who is the biggest loser?

HeavyRiffs 06/06/2013 - 00:40

He took us for £250k a week?

We took our trophy back.
‘Your’ trophy, typical arrogant rags.

Who is the biggest loser?
Based on his CV, Moyes.

Red devil S.A 06/06/2013 - 05:19

HeavyRiffs 06/06/2013 - 09:48

RVP only wanted to move to one club, Nited, that’s because they were the only club to bid for him. If he wanted to move to Nited so badly, why didn’t he come out and say that before the deal was agreed?

You sum up why so many rags are loathed, for their arrogance firstly, but then for your childish changing of City player’s names and making them homophobic to boot.

I’m guessing you’re a glory hunter and have been around since 92. I’m also guessing that S.A. means South Africa, yet you then claim Manchester is red, you couldn’t make it up.

Dimebar 06/05/2013 - 22:42

City offered him 300 grand a.week…Wenger didn’t say an exact amount, but he did say earlier in the season that City had offered more than United. Look it up its a simple search via Google.

Jim 06/05/2013 - 22:37

Another united player with City on the mind. Just worry about your own team mate

russtheblue 06/05/2013 - 22:16

He knew he would not be a regular in City’s team as they had several top strikers. It was the best move form him, next he will be declaring he is a life long united fan.

TwentyTimes 06/05/2013 - 22:10

Actually Wenger said: “It is true Manchester City were interested in him and he has chosen to go to United.” And Mancini said: “We were very close to signing him, I know what the reason was but I won’t say. It was not about money. We wanted Van Persie because we knew he was totally different from our other strikers.”

Unless you can point us towards any article where Wenger says only United were interested, or Mancini saying he wasn’t?

Why is it City fans feel the need to re-write history so they don’t feel like they’ve been snubbed? Some clubs will always be more attractive propositions than you no matter how much you’re financially doped, get over it.

HeavyRiffs 06/05/2013 - 21:49

City never bidded for him, only Nited did, Wenger said as much.

So now that he plays for Nited and only Nited bid for him, would he really say anything else?

Dave 06/05/2013 - 21:48

What a Crock Money Talks……