Firefighters called to Chris Smalling’s home after hot tub catches fire

by Ben Topliss

Firefighters were called to the home of Manchester United defender Chris Smalling on Tuesday night after his hot tub caught fire.

Emergency crews went to the Englishman’s home in Bowdon, Altrincham when the hot tub set alight in his back garden.

Smalling was reportedly not in the home at the time and the incident was caused by an electrical fault.

Earlier in the day, the 25-year-old had posted a picture on his Instagram account which appeared to show him enjoying a game of poker.

Chris Smalling 5

Watch Manager Stuart France said: “Police were in the area when they spotted smoke and reported a fire to our control centre.

“When we arrived it was quite a large fire involving a whirlpool bath and decking, which could have easily become something more serious.

“The police officers who were at the scene used a garden hose on the fire and when we arrived we extinguished it using a hose reel. The most likely cause was an accidental electrical fault.”

The fast response from emergency crews was fantastic and they will be rightly applauded for stopping the fire before it developed into something more dangerous.Thankfully, no-one was hurt.

Smalling should be able to put the incident behind him as United head into the final few games of the campaign. Angel di Maria also had a scare at his home earlier this season when criminals attempted to burgle his home.

You may also like