FA Cup Final Series 1984/5: Everton 0-1 Man United

by Sam Peoples

As Manchester United headed to Wembley in 1985 they were without doubt the underdogs up against an Everton side who were hunting the treble.

Having already wrapped up the First Division by 13 points and winning the European Cup Winners’ Cup, Everton were hot favourites and Man United fans knew it, even if their European final was played just four days before the FA Cup final.

On a sunny day at Wembley it was a far from classic FA Cup final for the majority of the game but a red card for Kevin Moran exploded it into life. Here are a few stories from reds who were at the game including a few quotes from the man who made all the difference at Wembley that day.
@United_Webby: “Let’s start. The FA Cup final vs Everton in 1985. They just won the European Cup Winners Cup in midweek and headed into the game on a high. I remember the day because it was red hot and there was 100,000 of us in Wembley. To be honest, it wasn’t the greatest of games – then came the turning point. Kevin Moran’s red card – the game came to life.

“The United end was singing and bouncing, I thought there was going to be a riot as Moran went off. Then came extra time and I was sitting behind Norman as he curled it past big Neville Southall. What a goal, I remember it like yesterday. That being said, the worst thing was some scouse c*nt robbed my new Adidas jumper off my back whilst I was walking back to the coach. I’m still fuming to this day but what a goal and what a win.”

@OllieSpaniel: “We travelled down to Wembley with the team from Dane Road central in Sale. We were four cars abreast on the M6 South, one on the hard shoulder, with our windows down and a tape blasting “’77 it was Docherty”.

“To be honest, the game was a blur but Whiteside’s winner will live on. We had a quick getaway back to Bridge Inn on Dane Road for last orders. We were waving our banner on Davyhulme Road East/Chester Road in Stretford as the team returned the next day on an open top bus. That banner is still pinned to my garage roof (pictured below)

What better way to hear about the 1985 FA Cup final than to hear from the man who scored that famous winning goal with a pearler of a left foot curler – Norman Whiteside.


Speaking to The Peoples Person, Whiteside recollected: “We were the underdogs for a change because Everton were going for the treble but Kevin Moran’s red card didn’t hurt us at all. Believe it or not it spurred us on even more to win in what was a poor final overall.

“As for my goal, it was great to score the winning goal in the FA Cup Final. I used to practice it at the Cliff training ground all the time and it never worked but thankfully for me it worked on the big day.
“After the game, the celebrations went on all night long. Actually they went on for the next month!”

Next up in our FA Cup final series is 1989/90 and our clash against 2016 opponents Crystal Palace.


You may also like